Advt. No: RGCB/PhD/2019-II
Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology (RGCB) invites application for admission to the PhD program (January 2020 session) in various domains of disease biology. Details of admission are as follows:
- Candidates with a post-graduate degree in Life/ Chemical/ Agricultural/ Environmental/ Veterinary/ Pharmaceutical/ Medical Sciences or with an MCI certified MBBS degree are eligible to apply.
- Candidates with terminal degrees in medicine, dentistry, veterinary sciences and pharmaceutical sciences can also apply for the Translational Science & Medicine (TSM) PhD program subject to the conditions specified in the RGCB website.
- Only candidates who have completed their qualifying degree in all respects will be considered.
- Applicants with UGC/CSIR/ICMR/DBT/DST-INSPIRE/KSCSTE/other fellowships must have a first class in their qualifying examination. These fellowships must be valid for one year from the date of Advertisement.
- Applicants, who do not have any fellowship, should have a minimum of 70% mark (CGPA - 7.0) for the qualifying degree.
- SC/ST candidates should have a minimum of 55% marks (CGPA-6.0) for their qualifying degree.
- A limited number of institute stipends will be available for those selected candidates without a research fellowship. This conditional financial support will be a subsistence allowance for an initial period of three years following which they will have to obtain their own fellowships from external agencies to ensure the PhD program continues uninterrupted. The continuance of the PhD program after three years is subject to this condition and there will be no extension of the institutional fellowship.
- All eligible candidates, irrespective of their fellowship status, will have to appear for a qualifying entrance test which will be conducted at RGCB for short listing candidates for the selection interview.
- TA/DA or accommodation will not be provided for the PhD admission procedures.
- Results of the qualifying test will be announced within one hour and selection interview for shortlisted candidates will begin on the same day.
- Upper age limit is 28 years as on January 01, 2020. Age limit will be relaxed for SC/ST/Physically challenged candidates as per Government of India regulations.
- RGCB is currently affiliated to the University of Kerala, Manipal Universityand the UNESCO-Regional Centre for Biotechnology. Registration of the selected candidates will be as per the guidelines issued by these Universities for the award of PhD degrees.
- All selected trainees will undergo the mandatory course work from February 12, 2020 to May 12, 2020.
- Only candidates who pass the course work evaluation will be allowed to register for PhD. A maximum of two attempts only is permitted to pass the course work evaluation. Candidates who are not successful in both attempts will have to exit the PhD program.
- Both mentor and student will decide final allotment to specific laboratories after mutual acceptance.
Applications are to be submitted online. Application Fee (Rs.1000/-) must be paid online using 'SB Collect' of State Bank of India through the URL given in the Payment Stage. SC/ST candidates are exempted from paying the processing fees. Last date for receiving completed applications is December 20, 2019. Incomplete applications or those without processing fees will be rejected.
Applicants should note that the PhD program of RGCB is primarily designed to produce top class PhD holders who will drive future research programs in the country. Hence we would like to see our PhD holders continue in active research by proceeding for suitable post-doctoral assignments and then as research scientists or young entrepreneurs in biotechnology. RGCB does not view as its main mandate production of PhD holders primarily for teaching in colleges and universities, which may often need the PhD degree to be in a particular domain (such as Zoology, Chemistry or Botany). This may not be possible at RGCB where most degrees are granted in Biotechnology or other interdisciplinary subjects. Candidates who wish to have career in teaching may find other universities or institutes where "subject-wise degrees" are given, a better option. Applicants are advised to consider this aspect very carefully before applying for the PhD program.
|December 20, 2019 [Friday]||Last date for submission of online application.|
|December 25, 2019 [Wednesday]||Date to download Admit Card.|
|January 19, 2020 [Sunday]||Date of selection test.|
|January 19, 2020 [Sunday]||Announcement of results of selection test qualified for interview.|
|January 19, 2020 (Afternoon) [Sunday]||Selection interviews.|
|January 20, 2020 (Whole day) [Monday]||Selection interviews.|
|January 22, 2020 [Wednesday]||Announcement of the final list of candidates selected as RGCB PhD trainees.|
|February 10, 2020 [Monday]||Selected PhD trainees report to Office of Academic Affairs, RGCB.|
|February 12, 2020 [Wednesday]||Mandatory Course Work Begins.|
For all incoming PhD students, there will be a tuition fee of 5000 per semester for the first eight semesters and 10,000 for every semester after. SC/ST candidates are exempt from these tuition fees. University fees will have to be paid directly to the University by the student.
Register here in order to access the Application Form. If you have already created an account you can proceed to 'Login'.
Enter your 'Email' as well as the 'Password' to 'Login' and proceed to fill the PhD Admission 2019B Application Form.
Type in the email address you used when you created your account to receive assistance in recovering your password.